Sunday, December 19, 2004

This is too boring for me to proof-read.

Dangit, I already had half this post written when I messed with the preview and back buttons and then it was gone. So here we go again. Despite my diminishing faith that anyone enjoys or will participate in further song-guessing, here's some hints for the two songs up to be guesseded right now.
The rap song is by a band from California, which used to have 4 members, but now has 3. Their first album, from the early 90s, is considered a hip-hop classic. And rightly so. But the sonh is not from this bizarre album. It's from their second, which even had a minor hit and got some airplay on the known TV music stations. I think I dropped enough smart hints on these guys. I wonder if it means anyhting to you.
Song number two, another rock song, is by one of the greatest bands to ever make music. I'm actually listening to them right now. And I have so many fond memories of listening to them. Especially when I first got into their music. I think they are somewhat of the continuation of progressive rock in the 90s. Considering the ways they approach making and structuring their stuff. This band is largely popular with the 'Hot Topic' crowd. But the popularity is well-deserved. Okay, this didnt't help any did it? Let's see. Their videos are really great and pieces of art for themselves. Unfortunately the DVD box-set that contains a lot of them is out of print. Oh, here's a good one. One of the band members is affiliated with 'A Perfect Circle'. And their first album was sometimes called a 'light' version of the band we're looking for. Also, your dad probably has several instances of the band's name in his shed or box or where ever he keeps his home improvement stuff.
Alright, enough with the hints. But while I'm talking about that second band, and how everybody should like them, I realize that a lot of people are somewhat reluctant to listen to some heavier stuff, with distorted guitars and what-have-you. I feel sorry for them, because I find beauty even in the louder things. It's often perceived as aggressiveness (the loud guitars and vocals), but that's not always true. Take the Smashing Pumpkins or Nirvana for example. A lot of people that are not into heavy music usually, totally dig these bands. And I think it's because they took the time, for whatever reason, to listen to them more closely and understand and appreciate the 'noise'. Oh well, to conclude with the words of Charles Barkley: "I may be wrong ...but I doubt it." I just wouldn't wanna miss out on bands like Monster Magnet, At the Drive-In, Metallica (the early stuff especially), System of a Down or Queens of the Stone Age. Would you?

 | Talkers (0)