Monday, December 06, 2004

Yummy yummy yummy, I got love in my tummy

I should be ironing clothes, but I played soccer and feel too exhausted. Sorry Christina! Alright, so Alice now has 6 points in our competition, making her the new leader, followed by Ginger with 3, and Henric with 2, who earned himself two points being a runner-up and completing some missing infos. Ah, heck, I'll give him 3. It's my competition after all. As to the album title, I thought it was Rage Against the Machine, they just named it after themselves, or didn't give it a name, but that's basically the same ain't it?
I had started another post on Friday but never got around to finishing it and then it got lost without saving, but now I can tell you about the weekend, which is way more interesting (admit it, for a second you actually thought something interesting was coming up) than what I had in mind then, not that I can remember. On Friday we went to my Chinese friend Lisan's surprise and premature birthday party. Of course she was the one getting surprised. Altogether there were 13 people there I think and I really had a great time, and I think Christina did as well. Han Bing, a friend of Lisan's who also studies DaF (and since we have a class together this semester she was able to get in touch with me easily) did the organizing and most of the cooking (I think). And let me tell you, IT WAS AWESOME!!! Not only was there enough to feed a nation, it tasted great too. There were Frühlingsrollen, sushi (+ wasabi), stuff with stuff in it that was pretty spicy, something called yaotze or something that is traditionally eaten for the spring festivities, a cake, noodle stuff, wine. Just anyhting you can think of. Chicken too and fish. We had already eaten some chili before we went there, not thinking she would make THAT much food, but it was so great, I just completely stuffed myself.
Beside some of Lisan's Chinese friends, there were also about 7 Germans, with Christina and me being the only ones not studying sinology and thus not being able to understand one word of Chinese. But it was cool. We ended up talking a lot of German anyway and the important things were translated. Later we played truth or dare and that was pretty fun too. I had to eat a piece of suhi with LOTS of wasabi, but it was alright, washing it down with ice tea. It started around 6 and we left at 10 or so, but stayed up to 1 at night cause Christina wanted to work on her CV and stuff. I watched Kung Fu movies on TV.
One thing I had planned to talk about was the presentation I did with Lisan on Friday. It was about XPath, the XML Path Language. It's good to be a nerd. We had been working on it steadily all last week (Sorry Christina, for not being able to spend much time with you, I love you) and I think it went pretty well. Both professors told us they thought we did good. I think it was partly because we had come up with our own, linguistically relevant XML document to demonstrate things on. Involving the audience did not work, but that's okay. Oh yeah, before I forget, thanks to Lisan of course, for agreeing to work with me, despite my annoyingness and constant tardiness. I could have never made a halfway decent presentation all by myself.
Alright, I need to learn to write shorter posts, and maybe post more frequently instead, but once I get going, the brain juice just keeps flowing into my fingers, making them type one word after the other. Here's a song for you:

All these accidents that happen,
follow the dot,
coincidence makes sense only with you
you don't have to speak
I feel emotional landscapes

I know not everybody likes the artist, but if you listen to this song, and it gets you in the right mood or you are just able to really hear it and soak it up, it's one of the greatest things you'll ever know. I'm not even exaggerating.

 | Talkers (0)