Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Everything is coming our way.

Hey, what's that on your shirt? Ha, you fell for it. So again, I don't have much to say. Well, that's not quite right, but the stuff that did happen I don't wanna talk about yet. Maybe Christina will update you all. I'm just busy with school, preparing for different presentations and projects. I'm listening to the 3rd Santana album right now. Needless to say, it is awesome. Besides Abraxas it's the only of his works I really know. And I'm not even interested in the new stuff. Let me tell you about Abraxas. My dad is a big Santana fan and all he had was one tape - Abraxas. And he would always point out that with Santana you don't go for any particular songs or anything, but you listen to it, merely because of the beautiful guitar playing. And in a way he's right, but I think it doesn't completely do him justice. Plus he has weaker songwriting moments as well, not that I really know too much of his stuff. Anyway, I think the songs on Abraxas are awesome, just for themselves, and his guitar makes them to die for, or some other, more effective exaggeration. I don't think I need to tell anyone about Black Magic Woman. Anyway, my dad had it on tape and as a kid i might have listened to it while playing Lego, who knows. But a few years ago, I was browsing through some records in a store, or maybe it was at the university in Bielefeld, and saw Abraxas, on vinyl and in good condition. So of course I didn't say No. And I remember that when listening to it, some of the songs were strangely familiar. I thought that was cool. I was just excited by how great that music really is. At that time I was really getting into 'classic rock' a lot more, partly thanks to a certain Ms. Miller. Probably in large parts thanks to.
Okay, now comes the big thing. My pathetic attempt at making sense out of this verbal diarrhea. The BIIIIG revelation. Last night we were listening to the radio in the car because I left the CDs in our apartment, and they were playing 80s rock. Sad, I know. I didn't know who the band was or what the song was called, but yet it was strangely familiar. You can just see the storm a-brewing can't you? So I realized, that probably I knew the song from hearing it on the radio as a kid, cause this happens a lot with 80s songs and me. And now that everybody loves that decade, and the songs get a lot of airplay, it happens more and more. I hear songs that I know, but don't have a clue how or who. And it made me think about how many songs there are out there, that my subconcessicity knows, that I am not aware of. That's probably why Abraxas was somewhat familiar to me as well. Alright, I understand you need a minute to digest this deep insight into the inner workings of humankind.
Alright, that's enough of a break. I just wanted to tell you how great Santana is, that besides Abraxas on vinyl, I own III on CD, and that you shouldn't ask me anything, cause I will, given the chance, ramble you head off.
Have you looked at the '500 greatest songs' that Rolling Stone published? Pretty interesting I thought. Especially since a lot of people like to point out that Bob Dylan's main contribution was as a lyricist. After seeing him play live I know those people must also think that, you know, stuff and so on, with cherries on top. Yeah, well I can't come up with anything. But what I had planned to come up with was really funny. And smart of course. As much as such lists will always suck, they are cool to check what other people think is great music, and how much of it you know yourself.
And now to one more thing, our beloved contest. Here's the quote:

Dream the same thing every night,
I see our freedom in my sight,
no locked doors, no windows barred,
no things to make my brain seem scarred

A little harder this time, but if you don't know this song, you better get to know it, and like it. Why? Cause I said so.

 | Talkers (0)