Friday, October 22, 2004

What's glowing in your backyard?

I should be studying for my test on Monday, but instead I thought I'd write a little something for my hungry audience. Only problem is, I have nothing to write about. But that has never stopped me before. I will just ramble on. That's smarter than you think cause I'm actually listening to Led Zeppelin, not II though, Houses of the Holy. Good record. So I guess I can talk about music a little. Had to happen sooner or later anyway. While in France, and I kinda mentioned it in my previous post, which apparently some people found too long, I acquired some CD's that I have been looking for for a bit already. I got There's A Riot Goin' On by Sly and the Family Stone, Hard Again by Muddy Waters and Sensimilla by Black Uhuru.
Hey Alice is calling. Hi Alice!
But back to the music. Let's start with Black Uhuru. I only knew one of their songs, Sensimilla, before I bought it, which I listened to from a reggae compilation I once borrowed from the Vigo County Public Library. That was a good compilation too, that introduced me to some reggae artists besides Bob Marley. Anyway, knew one song and the fact that they were produced by the famous Sly and Robbie. Don't know that much about them, but apparently they are a very important team of producers and are connected to the dub sound. Great album, even though we have different ideas about the use of certain plants. But it seems that good musicians work better when drugged.
Next up we have Sly and the Family Stone. Everybody knows 'Everyday People' by them, which is not on this album. This one is somewhat political and REALLY funky. Or something. At one point, and this is especially strange for me as a German, they are actually yodeling on that record. Crazy shit. No other term for it. Also, their music greatly influenced Miles Davis during his 'electric' period, so I just had to check it out.
Now we come to Muddy Waters, and here I actually have half a story to tell. I'm really not into Blues that much, but after starting to listen to Bob Dylan and some American folk music, I got more interested. So I went for the obvious, BB King and Ray Charles, but for me they go more into R&B than the kind of Blues I was looking for. Not that I don't like them, but I was ready for something dirty and raw. So what do you do when you want to find out about music? That's right, you plan on visiting your girlfriend's family, so you can listen to music on the plane. Too much effort just for that you say? Well, I like elaborate plans. Never know when they're gonna get you. So on the plane, actually on the way back cause I wasn't gonna give those bastards money for headphones that should have been free, but on the way back I had some (Thanks Brandi), and I was checking that stuff out. And there was Hard Again by Muddy Waters. The little text said, that it was his first release after a little bit of a hiatus. I could check if that's true, but why should I? It's not like any of you care. Heck, I could tell you he recorded this in his underground lair in the mountains of Kansas, living off of frosted mini-wheats and concentrated orange juice for 3 months and 4 days, and using a home-made plywood rubber-band-powered tape recorder with 173bits,and you'd still believe it. You are so silly. But it was an awesome listen on that plane. So I look for it in the stores here and, can't find it. But they had it in France, for a great price, and I just couldn't resist. Got the Black Uhuru for cheap too and Sly and the Family wasn't too bad either. They called it Nice Price.
So to make a long story short, I'm very much enjoying these CD's. Do I think you care? No. But it was time to write something short and snappy and I had to deliver. Except it's not short, or snappy, but it's less long, less interesting and it sure as H-E-double-golf-clubs will keep anyone from coming back here. NO! Don't leave. I was just joking, you know I crave your attention. I ever tell you about this fortune I got in a cookie? It said 'Everybody loves you'. I am not kidding you. How can those things be so much on point? But still get the lotto numbers wrong every time? Alright, I will investigate and post the results later.

 | Talkers (0)