Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Do you still bother?

I didn't really have anything to blog about. Or at least I didn't feel writing about anything. Don't know why. Plus I was busy with my translating job, which I should be working on right now. So this will be short. Anyway, I forgot to mention something about Phish. If it wasn't for MacKenzie and her Phish tape that was laying around while I was working at the Permanent Art Collection, I would have never ever have gotten into Phish. MacKenzie, I am forever grateful. Sorry I haven't written in such a long time. I enjoyed that job in general. Learned lots of new things met some nice and interesting people and drank water.
You know what one of the things that freaks me out the most is? Oh, I already told you? Well nevermind then. Nooooo, I wasn't talking about 3 inch perfectly round potatos, silly. I was talking about people talking to themselves on the street. Just last week I met two of these wonderful specimen. The first one was this guy, let's call him Arndt, I passed on Saturday after buying Brötchen for breakfast. Arndt already looked weird and, as I would soon find out, looked strange running. Anyway, Arndt came out of a side road, still walking, and had some trouble seeing me it seemed. I mean he wasn't going fast and neither was I, but still I had to stop to let Arndt go. Can you believe it? I had to stop, almost. But Arndt was preoccupied. He was mumbling something, and then saw the bus stopping down the road. And Arndt said: "something Bus verpasst something" and started running. And Arndt, what the heck? I mean how long have we known each other now? 10, 15 seconds and then you go and surprise me with running like that. I guess you just nevber really know anyone. First of all, slow as smoke. Not that I'm Mr. Lightspeed here or anything, but he wasn't going anywhere. His body was all stiff, but moving at the same time. I can't even recall it before my all-seeing inner eye.
You know that big ol' eye with all them fiery flames around it from Lord of the Rings? The one that's got the hots for Frodo? And the one that always pops in whenever it gets really intense? Yeah, you know what I'm talking about, the secret Burger King commercial they have throughout that whole thing. Geez, did you think all those fancy costumes paid for themselves? That's what my inner eye looks like. I swear. That Tolkien must have travelled in time, logged into my head and stole that image. There is no other explanation. So I installed a firewall, like that guy in Children of the Damned. Except it's an ocean and a brick wall. But mine is made out of fire. Of course the brick wall works much better when the kids are breaking through. Like when Pink Floyd played their 'Wall' tour and had all those boxes and stuff. So Arndt was 'running' and the bus was still stopped. It must have gotten to the stop a little early. And Arndt was 'running'. The bus still had its signal turned to show it was stopping. And Arndt was 'running'. Now he was alsmost there, the bus still stopped, and just when Arndt thought he made, the bus leaves. And Arndt was 'running'. Now with a face of despair, for the next bus would not be there until another ten minutes later. The universe was at stake.
And Arndt yelled something, and in one of those rare moments in human history, Earth's three suns lined up, bundling their energy and relived that little piece of red that's left inside every busdriver's black and rotten heart. And the bus driver stopped the bus to let Arndt in. That lucky bastard. Now the rest of the story I'm not 100% about, but I think everybody that witnessed this scene had a little tear in the corner of their eyes. I know I did. So overwhelmed to see the forces at play. Inside the bus, Arndt fell to his knees and praised the bus driver, emphasizing the significance of getting on that bus, and his struggle to get there. He thanked everybody else that was on the bus with a hug and a handshake and realized he had to turn his life around. And so he did. A few days later, Arndt has fallen in love with the world again, goes 'running' almost every day and does two good deeds a week (he didn't wanna set a goal he couldn't achieve). Either that or he just found an empty seat and caught his breath.
The second encounter with somebody talking to themselves was in front of our house on the way back from the grocery store. Well actually it was by that lamppost right by the tanning salon. The one where there is almost always a big turd from some nasty dog, that I have actually seen people step into. That stuff bugs me. I know there are plenty of animals doing their #1s and 2s in cities, but only dogs have the nerve to pass out invitations for people to watch and then do it in the middle of the freaking sidewalk. Whatever happened to bushes and trees? The weirdest dog we have here belongs to this dirty guy. He is already pretty different. Long hair, bad 80s hippie clothes and a mean face. Mean like kicking your girlfriend's butt at Tetris with no mercy whatsoever. And his dog is at least 78,5% wolf. It has to be. Either that or werewolf, just the other way around. He turns human at full moon. But this dog is skinny and black and about as high as halfway between my knee and hip. He doesn't look too bad really, except the long and frizzy hair on his back. Some of it is gray, and all of it is longer than the hair on the rest of its body. A total wolf. I have seen the guy digging through the trash at Plus by the way.
So this woman walks towards me, I did not know her name, and she looked a little out of it with her busy colorful shirt and she was mumbling something. When I passed her, all I could make out was that she must have been reading out her grocery list from memory. I mean, she wasn't totally talking under her breath, so I'm pretty sure she was saying the names of some stuff she was gonna buy at Plus. Just make sure you don't forget the eggs. Ah yes, eggs thanks you, now where was I, milk, ham, tomatoes, don't forget the cucumber, oh and noodles, some chicken, butter, now is that it, oh almost forgot the juice, and the eggs of course yes okay that's it thanks you.
People have started to dig through trash over here more anyway. I think it's because of the introduction of the refund system for one-way beverage containers. Lots of people just throw them away anyway, so bums and cheap people fish them out of the trash cans. Well, I guess that wraps it up for now. Told you I didn't have nothing to blog about.

 | Talkers (1)