Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Solar cells on every roof.

On Saturday, a column ran in the New York Times by Nicholas D. Kristof, calling for a change in energy policy towards a more environmentally sound solution (to use NYTimes slang). The proposal was, that since global warming and CO2 emissions are such a big threat, we, well he meant the USA in particular, so I should say they, should expand the nuclear power facilities. Why? No emissions. But what about the 'spent fuel' a.k.a. nuclear waste you ask? Kristof says

"Radioactive wastes are a challenge. But burdening future generations with nuclear wastes in deep shafts is probably more reasonable than burdening them with a warmer world in which Manhattan is submerged under 20 feet of water."

First of all, that burden in the deep shafts will possibly outlast all of humankind. We don't even know the effects it might have in the future, and it would be foolish to think that the containers that are used for storing will last forever. Secondly, global warming can still be stopped. He makes it seem like we have to accept it that sooner or later the polar caps will melt. NO! If we actually reduced CO2 emissions now, by installing filters or whatnot, not just in Western countries, but all over the world and shifted towards alternative energies, not just bit by bit and a little here and there, but on a larger scale, I think there would be no need for nuclear plants. Of course I'm no expert so I don't really know. But to think of nuclear power as a safe and clean source of energy seems ridiculous to me. What about nuclear pollution of our rivers? What about increased cancer and leukemia rates in people living near nuclear power plants? What about possible accidents?
So when I saw today, that 7 letters to the editor on the subject were published on their website, and most fo them were not against the proposal, I felt the need to write about it myself. I think that trying to install more nuclear power plants, even if they are safer than older ones, is like giving in to the reluctance by some to reduce the emission of green house gases. Because that's what needs to happen to stop global warming. And power plants alone are not responsible for it.
Okay, I better stop before I start spinning in circles and rambling endlessly. Comment or I'll eat your shirt.

 | Talkers (0)