Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Triering it up.

People, people, people, let me tell you. The world is a crazy place.
Well after that great start this post will surely become one of your all-time favorites. I'm in Trier at the moment, trying to get everything together so I can sign up for my thesis and tests. And after that I'm finally done. It's the semester break right now, but there are plenty of new students about. I had two encounters. While I was locking my stuff in a locker for the library this girl asks me where she can find the Studentensekretariat, which is where you go for any official general business here. I told her 'V-building'. She didn't know where that was so I explained and off she went. Hope she found it, but you can't really miss it. Then while eating at the Mensa, a group of Italian (at least I'm pretty sure they were) exchange students sat around me, which is something Germans would never have done. And not because it's me, but because we just don't do that. Crazy foreigners. Anyway, I was eating my soup and this guy beside me is trying out his German and asks his friend 'Willst Du es schmecken?', and she is like, you wanna say 'probieren', the difference being between trying and tasting. In German however, 'probieren' should be used in this case. No wait, that's not how I wanted to word that. I meant to say, it's highly more likely and common for a speaker to use 'probieren' in this case. The other sounds odd in this context and might not be interpreted right. Yeah, that is much better. Okay, so they end up asking me and I tell them 'probieren' and that 'schmecken' isn't what he wants to use there.
And those were my two encounters for today. Now it's back to work in the library. I miss Christina.

 | Talkers (1)