Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Time to talk history...

We have a very serious topic to discuss. That's how I started a blog entry that was going to talk about the bombing of Dresden and the issue of the Neo-Nazis' dealing with it. But I don't know what to say about their incredible ignorance and attempts at revisionism. I really don't. It's beyond me how someone can go out and mourn the death of thousands of lives, while not even mentioning the systematic killing of millions. As if the two are not connected. All that while distinguishing between 'Jewish' and 'German' victims of WWII and the Holocaust. Again, I just don't know what to say. Being German, the Nazi reign and the Holocaust are some of the most important issues that affect my daily life and who I am. And I see how it can be hard to live up to the incredible responsibility you have, as a German, towards the rest of the world. But the one thing I know I should never do, is try to forget about the horrible things that happened or trying to somehow avert the responsibility away from the German people.
See? I don't know how to express what I'm thinking in proper words. It's at the same time incredibly complex, yet simple, both emotionally and intellectually. Trying to say I am sorry for what my country did to the Jewish population of Europe, means nothing in the light of the unimaginable horror that Hitler came up with. So I try to accept my responsibility by acting. Of course, I am not responsible personally for anyhting that happened since I wasn't born yet, but if I don't live up to this heritage (and no, it has nothing to do with burden) I become responsible.
Okay, I will stop here, there is only so far I am able to pursue this, just sitting here without talking to anybody. Like I said, it is not an issue I can deal with separately, my whole life and person is connected to it.

 | Talkers (0)