Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Hear me whine

Now that you learned about the beauty of laying floors, here comes all the fun stuff. My bones are aching, not so much anymore today but scooting around on my knees and sawing and lifting and carrying and all that really was strenuous. And there is more to come next weekend. But it never felt so good to lay down at night. Or is it lie down? I can never tell. Looks like I need to learn me some more English. But I will do logic instead. Right after this. So the big drama was, that the guys that used to live in our new apartment don't have their shit together, which we could have handlded. But they didn't give us another set of keys. One of them still has his. So on Saturday morning, their dirty stove was still in the kitchen, the paintjob was partly crap and there were no keys. Later in the day the landlady said they were supposed to pick it up and leave the keys, but all that ever happened was the stove being picked up by the guy who didn't have a key. We tried to call the other one, but no answer. If the keys are not there when Christina gets home tonight, we will have to call the landlady.
I mean, we gave the guy an extra week, and it's okay for him to still have the basement full of stuff and all that, we can live with that, but we NEED that dang key. That way my parents can go there Saturday morning and start working. Like putting quarter-rounds (memories of the good old PAC at ISU come to my mind) around the room to cover the 10mm gap you have to leave with the laminate floor. We actually left 20 in some places, but we're not professional floor people either. And touching up some of the drill-holes and putting new PVC in the kitchen. More than plenty of work. That's why they wanted to get there early on Saturday while we load up the moving truck in Trier and drive up to Bremen. But of course they need to be able to get into the house. And we don't really wanna send our only key by mail, and then it gets lost or something. And I only have the one guy's cell phone (which he doesn't answer) and maybe the landlady can call the other dude. He also said he would call again but never did. It was cool at first, but now I'm starting to get a little pissed at them. Like I said, they can leave their stuff in the basement and pick it up when they can, but we need the key and they can call us to set up a time. Arrghh.
On Monday morning we took the fridge from my parents to our apartment. I'm so proud of Christina for carrying it up to the third (4th in America) floor with me. Then we took down part of the old PVC and went to pick out some for the kitchen. Took forever. But we made it, and took it up, and the rest of the trash down to the car and went to take her work computer to work, so she can work (duh). I went to drop the old floor off at the landfill, but after I finally found it (took 20 minutes), found out it closed at 3. So I decided to head to Trier, and just get rid of it here. I will actually do that tomorrow morning. Thinking I would get there maybe at 9 or 9.30, since it was shortly past 4. WRONG! Big Stau in Bremen, commuter traffic. At one point I was stopped for 15 minutes, with my engine turned off and just waiting. There was supposed to be another 10km one coming up, but it was gone by the time I finally got there. Since it was getting late, the Ruhrgebiet had no Stau at all. And then I get to Mayen/Mendig, where I leave the Autobahn to take a shortcut saving probably 25km. And there was plenty of snow. I would say at least 5cm (2"), and it all fell that afternoon. The roads were alright, but not completely cleared. And it was like 22.10 by that time. And I had what I thought would turn into a slow odyssey ahead of me. Luckily the Autobahn to Trier was mostly completely cleared and I finally got home at 23.15. That's a grand total of 7 hours. Way too long.
So a weekend of nothing but work finally ended on Monday night, almost Tuesday. Bremen better treat us well.

 | Talkers (0)