Thursday, February 17, 2005

So much time, so little to do...

Since I have a little time before I meet with some people for lunch, I decided to write a little post for your pleasure. Let's go back to the topic of outlawing underwear in Virginia. Can you believe it? It seems like I won't be able to visit Ginger anymore without risking a fine. If the law passes that is. One of the first things that I thought about was how the mini skirt became popular in the sixties. Of course that was a big outrage as well, and I think the low-rise pants and stuff are no different. So now comes the part where I'm tying things together, much quicker than usual, but like I said, only a little break. I dug out some wicked lyrics for you to guess, that talk about the conflict between generations, and it was written by one of the greatest musicians of our time. If you know me you probably know who I'm talking about anyway. Here's the lyrics:

"Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand"

It's one fo my favorite quotes from him anyway. And I think it's because it so well addresses the problem of overly conservative and preservative stances. Every human being is in constant change, at least in my experience, and along with the people, places change and society changes. I think this is human nature, to keep changing. To try and suppress change goes against human nature then. Of course it is also important to criticize developments and wonder about their usefulness, but seeing underwear certainly is not going to ruin society. I also don't agree with dress codes in high schools and such.
Anyway, I have realized that guessing songs with the help of lyrics is not all that exciting. We will finish this great sing-song sing-along contest, but there will be no future installations in the current format. Instead I will try to figure out a way to post song snippets for your listening pleasure, and then you can guess. Way better, ain't it? But right now I'm too busy with other stuff, plus I gotta eat and quit writing boring posts.

 | Talkers (3)