Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Hey, you chose to come here.

It's hard to come up with something to post, that I don't feel stupid about. Basically, our lives over here are back to normal. Of course the tragedy that Ginger and her family suffered is still on our minds, like I said though, it's basically back to normal. But to me it seems that there is no more normal for them. How could there be? They somehow have to find a new kind of normal that is so radically different from their former lives that it's hard to imagine what it will be like.
In appreciation of the void that Wyatt has left behind, I decided to blog about something that is neither entertaining, nor funny or thought-provoking or anything. Something completely meaningless and void itself. It involves some technical stuff about the blog and will probably bore you to no end. So enter at your own risk.

[+] I guess I'll give it a try.Item #1: My Geocities page was shut down because of alleged violation of the terms of service. I wrote them but haven't heard anything and will try again. I used that webspace for the images I used on the blog and the sound files. I could use Blogger's images, but would have to come up with something new for the sound files.

Item#2: For quite some time now, the text at the top of the page that said "Welcome to the world's second greatest blog" has been generated by a Javascript I found via Google on www.codelifter.com. I don't endorse that page or anything and haven't used it since but wanted to give the credit. I modified the generated HTML, but that was it. My intention had been to have a number of snappy taglines which would be chosen randomly on each page load. I finally got around to actually having more than one. And snappy they are. If there's anything you wanna read up there, let me know. We will give shoutouts.

Item#3: Javascript number 2, the one that causes this text to magically appear and disappear. It involves three things.
  1. Two entries in the stylesheet such as this:
    • .posthidden {display:none}
    • .postshown {display:inline}

  2. The Javascript, which is this:
    • <script type="text/Javascript">

      function expandcollapse (postid1, postid2)
      {

      whichpost = document.getElementById(postid1);

      if (whichpost.className=="postshown")
      {
      whichpost.className="posthidden";
      }
      else
      {
      whichpost.className="postshown";
      }

      whichpost = document.getElementById(postid2);

      if (whichpost.className=="postshown")
      {
      whichpost.className="posthidden";
      }
      else
      {
      whichpost.className="postshown";
      }

      }
      </script>

  3. And the HTML that goes in the post, which is this:
    • <span class="postshown" id="3"><a href="javascript:expandcollapse(3, 4)">[+] show this post</a></span><span class="posthidden" id="4">THIS IS WHERE THE TEXT WOULD GO<br /><a href="javascript:expandcollapse(3, 4)">[-] hide this post</a></span>


And that's it. In Blogger you just put the script somewhere inside the "head" of the template document. The script takes the ids that have been assigned to the different parts of the document via the "span" tags and changes the status from "postshown" to "posthidden" or the other way around, whenever you click on the text inside the anchor tags.
And this is where it sucks: Every time I use this script, I have to manually change the ids for the "span" tags and function calls. Blogger originally intended the HTML to be used in the template, but I wanted to be able to show some text and hide the rest, and have different text for the clickable texts to hide and show. Blogger also used this <$BlogItemNumber$>1 to create unique ids, but that only works when it's put in the template. If anyone that reads this knows how to create unique ids automatically, don't be shy and share the knowledge.
I think that's all for now.

[-] You're lucky I'm not suing for reimbursment for that wasted click. And this one.


Yeah, like I said, that was completely bland, and purposefully so. As usual.

 | Talkers (0)