Sunday, November 06, 2005

How my head disappeared.

Obviously, we did a fair amount of shopping during our stay in the US. How could we not? Wait a second, I had planned on writing about the troubles of adjusting to life in the US and then back in Germany again. Thought you could trick me, huh? No no no. Profound intercultural observation wins over shopping, you sneaky little... Well I'm not gonna use that word today. But I digress.
The first couple of days of being in the US again were the hardest. Not that I have never been back and forth, I have plenty of times. And that's one of the intersting things: Adjusting is always different. Every time I notice something different, or I struggle with one thing in particular. I assume it's cause I changed, and it's the experience that changes me, so it makes sense that it's never the same. This time, I found that things were just going at a different pace somehow. Nothing I could really point to, but just realizing that people's attitudes are different. The weekend we arrived was also homecoming weekend, which is an entirely strange event for me anyway, so that didn't make it any easier.
Now shopping. We took some advantage of 24-hour and Sunday shopping, and got some sweet deals. My biggest pride is a 2.50 hunter's camo baseball hat from Wally World. What's Wally World? Wal-Mart of course and I totally didn't catch it when Christina's dad called it that. I also annoyed him with an infinity of questions during the baseball games on TV, but by the time it went to the World Series I pretty much had it all figured out. The Covered Bridge Festival was also cool, but basically a big flea market. Oh well, can't bore you with specifics or the customs office will get us.
What else happened? Ginger visited us of course, and we walked the longest trail in Shakamak park, which is like 3 miles long. She got hit on by a drunken stranger the night of the kegger, who soon thereafter got punched to the ground by a well-known-to-everyone-there attendant of said event in an unrelated matter. We also played wiffle ball that afternoon, which was a lot of fun as well. AND I got to roast hot dogs all night long. It don't get much dang better than that I tell ya. Played Clue and Boggle and Yahtzee with Jeremiah a lot, beat him at chess as well even though I don't really know how to play and must have gotten lucky since he beat Christina and I always lose to her, which I did when he almost had me that one time but I could still castle even though he only had like his queen a rook and a bishop plus like 3 pawns left and we had to look up castling in the dictionary but I won in the end. I didn't have the tiniest fraction of a chance in checkers though.
We also visited with Joey and got Christina's driving record so she can get her license. Joey kindly gave me his copy of Invisible Man. Thanks a lot. Oh, and we went and talked to Brandi's students, which was very enjoyable as usual, and went to a weennie roast her and her fiancé Nathan were having that one night. Met Addie there as well who came and visited us with Brandi in Trier back then. I really liked Nathan's house and upon commenting on the big barn Christina embarrassed me by telling everyone about my plans of building my own skate ramps in a barn one day. I don't even know why that embarrasses me, but I guess it makes me look a little silly.
Alright, enough for now, if I remember something else worthwhile I'll write about it. Like when we went to a buffet restaurant.

 | Talkers (4)