Tuesday, June 14, 2005

You're such a nerd.

So much has happened, where do I even begin? Okay, let me start over. Nothing has happened, where do I begin? Now that's some deep stuff right there. Anyway, I was just wanting to let everybody know that I succesfully switched computers. My old P3 only had 64MB of RAM, and while we were out eating with some people from Christina's work I asked if anyone had some old RAM they would be willing to get rid if for a small price. Cause I was planning on getting a new system as soon as I got a job. But I no longer need to, as one of her colleagues had a whole computer he was trying to get rid of. It's a P4 at 2,2GHz, 512MB RAM (I might upgrade that later) and two 110GB harddrives in a RAID 1 configuration. I had no idea what the heck that was. I was just told that it had two drives which are mirrored, so actually I only see one drive and the other is an exact copy of the first one. Backs up your data automatically. Then I looked up how that works, and I learned about RAID.
Anyway, I bought that a couple of weeks ago but never got around to setting it up, cause I had this long Word file for work and didn't wanna risk messing up the formatting. Last weekend I decided to do it anyway. It hurt to work on a slow computer with the other one just sitting there, calling my name. For same reason the computer referred to me as "Sweet Sam" but who cares. It hurt deep down inside. Oh, I can still fell that pain just thinking about. The new computer also has WinXP, while I was still working with 98. An upgrade long overdue, even though I was dreading it a little. But it didn't take too long to get to know XP and how it works and now I like it.
The biggest hassle was getting all my e-mail to show up in my mail program. I use Mozilla Thunderbird and several address books, 4 accounts and a few local folders in it. There is no export function and importing from my old hard-drive, which I also installed in the new machine, was not possible. But with the help of forums and such I figured it out, even though I thought I lost most of my stuff at one point. The problem was that in order to copy the mail folders, you had to set up the accounts in Thunderbird first, as it it will not automatically display an account for each mail folder in the profile. But I figured it out, deleted my old profile, was devastated, looked in the trash can, found it and remembered I also made a backup copy on my old hard drive. The world was saved again. If the world consisted of my pitiful life that is.
I have been working on this here post for three days now but never got around to finishing it. By the way, the last song, which no one could guess, is "Daylight" by the one and only Aesop Rock. I'm not even going to talk about all of you people's lack of enthusiasm for this awesome contest. On Saturday we're leaving for Rome for four days. That should be pretty nice.

 | Talkers (0)