Saturday, February 07, 2009

Verbraucherinformationen.

Call it a last resort, but I'm gonna have to talk about advertising again. There are actually three instances of stupid commercials I noticed.

The first one is for milk made by Smart Balance, and in it they talk about how horrible regular milk is for you and that Smart Balance's low fat and no-fat milk is so much better. I'm sorry, but if you believe that, you got something wrong with you. Regular 4% milk is not bad for you. Milk that has been engineered in a lab to contain all kinds of things that aren't in it to begin with and to not contain other things, now that doesn't sound wholesome to me at all. No-fat milk? You gotta be kidding! I know I talked about milk on here before, but I just want to point out that the difference in the amount of fat in 2% and 4% is pretty much insignificant. If you're really concerned about your fat intake, get some extra lean hamburger instead of the 80-20 chuck and NO MORE CORN DOGS! That will actually make a difference. While it's not a bad idea to watch what you eat, these types of manufactured foods just can't be good for you.

Also, have you seen the latest Hallmark Hannah Montana Recordable Valentine's Day Card commercial? It features some elementary school girls at lunch, and the first two show the Valentine's Day gifts their moms, possibly with lots of painstaking effort and love, have made for them at home. It's something like a heart-shaped sandwich and something red. The idea of mothers giving something to their daughters for Valentine's Day strikes me as Hallmark wishful thinking already, but okay, if they can make up holidays, they can make up the rules too, that's only fair. The third girl in the ad is much luckier than the first two. Rather than spending time thinking of and making something unique for her, her mom went to the store and bought a Hallmark Hannah Montana card, recorded her voice saying "I love you, sugar" on it (or something to that effect), put it in the envelope and BAM! all done. Now you see why the first two girls are jealous of the third one. It's really not fair of mom #3 to put her daughter in a position that is sure to generate copious amounts of jealousy and envy.

And finally, do you want to know who I think is a real prick? The french fries on McDonald's dollar menu. If you've seen the commercials you know what I'm talking about. What is your deal? First dissing the cheeseburger, then that lame joke about the apple pies. Nobody wants to be your friend, $1 french fries.

I got one more thing, unrelated to commercials, but related to shopping, so it's not completely unrelated since commercials are supposed to influence your shopping habits. We go to this grocery store that belongs to a chain called Stop & Shop, and last time we went there they had this new drink, or at least it was the first time I noticed it, that's one of those generic store brand items. I'm not entirely sure what it's imitating, but I think it's those "flavored water" types, that are still clear, but have a hint of some fruit flavor. Not my thing, but anyway, they call the drink "Zazz". Which is funny if you watch Metalocalypse. Well, it is to me anyway.

Labels: , ,

 | Talkers (3)