Friday, July 01, 2005

Act II, Scene 3: The flowerkeepers of East St. Louis

Musicians were playing in the alley. It was right in the middle of the biggest attractions, so we didn't expect the best and cheapest. Not the greatest, but still good. All that was quite a hike and we were ready for some food, so we stopped at a little restaurant on the way, where I had some spaghetti with pesto and Christina a pizza. As it grows in the wilderness. I especially liked that some parts were beautifully sculpted, namely the seahorses and the dudes, while others seemed to be almost left untouched and looked just like wild rock. And let me tell you, even though it was crowded with people, it's quite an amazing thing, that ole fountain.
But we found the Spanish Stairs no problem, walked up, enjoyed the view, rested a little, refreshed with the water from the fountain and were off to the Trevi Fountain. Oh, well, we managed to finally head towards our destination, even though there was some tension now. The problem was that it wasn't just across the road, but on the other side of a church with one-ways on both sides. I kinda messed that up. But somehow we managed to walk right past it, around in a circle and back to where we had already been before finally seeing it. I figured that the bus stop would be right across from where we got off the night before, as it was the same line. So, all we needed to do was walk to the bus stop and ride it to where we wanted to go: The Spanish Stairs.
It was understood. Well, not that day of course. You always had to leave your key at the reception when you left. Thanks to my lack of motivation we left the hotel at like 10.30 or so, leaving our key with the maid who was already on our floor. Then it was time for me to hop in the shower, look on the map to see where we would go that day, figure out which bus would take us there and get going. But under the given circumstances it could not be avoided. Now anybody who knows me a little better is aware that I don't usually ever eat that stuff, because of my aversion to certain red foods. The cheese wasn't great either, so I had to fall back on marmelade. The cereal was hard to get out the containers, as it all stuck together in a big lump. What do you do? All sugar, no fruit. The orange "juice" was horrible. As we were there kinda late, the choices had become a little less already, but the bread was okay. The breakfast wasn't bad, wasn't great either though. I would take my shower afterwards. Anyway, Christina had showered the night before, while I still had to wash myself, but we managed to get to the breakfast room on time. Usually having breakfast too, but it was too early. I just prefer to be up for like half an hour or so before driving. Christina had the advantage of having slept in the car while I was driving to the airport and getting up a little later. We woke up at around 9 I think, and I was still dead tired.

 | Talkers (1)