Thursday, March 09, 2006

Shoot you in the back

I've been wanting to write this post for a while now, but never got around to it. So I will just get it over with real quick, and maybe add some of my patented humorous anecdotes later on. As seen on Sarah and the Goon Squad, corrupting the young is an important step towards a better society. A few weeks ago we visited our friend Kelly, her husband, and of course their baby boy, Collin. We hadn't seen them for like half a year, because something always went wrong. But not this time, we finally got around to going there (it's a 5-hour trip). In what will follow you will clearly see the positive effect of corrupting influences. So let's go and see exhibit A:

[+] Hi there, I'm exhibit A. Pleased to meet you.As you can clearly see, Collin is enjoying his new-found patriotism. We got this little flag on our last trip to the US, and it came in a pack of 4 or 5, I believe. Of course we got it at Wal-Mart, the official partner of Freedom®. Anyway, we also got him another little gift, which will be featured in exhibit B, but since there is still room here for me to ramble, I will not pass up the opportunity. Notice the overall wholesomness displayed in the image, enough to please each and every family member confronted with it. Unlike almost everything else, he did not stick the flag in his mouth, a sign of respect for the flag of course. Oh, I just remembered. I was gonna say how I get the browser to jump to the right paragraphs when expanding the posts. A while ago I wrote about how I expand and collapse posts on here. Well, what I did was use the "name" attribute of anchor tags and have two things happen when you click on the expand or collapse links. Before, I used the "href" attribute of the anchor tag to call the Javascript function. This is now done with the "onclick" attribute, while "href" simply links to the appropriate anchor. Of course this works especially well with these pictures, as they are part of an anchor tag, but it's just as easy with an empty anchor or something. I haven't actually tried this, since I'm so fond of having pictures just appear out of nothing. Anyway, enough for now, That should have taken up enough space. We'll see.

[-] Bye, and take care.


Okay, so the baby is happy and a pleasure for everyone. Enter one piece of clothing in exhibit B:

[+] I'm exhibit B, you got a problem with that?Notice the change of overall demeanor. This is not your wholesome little kid anymore, but one who will tell you that he's been born to lose, and gambling's for fools, but that's the way he likes it, baby. Also, if you like to gamble, he is your man, you win some, you lose some, it's all the same to him. Collin has changed into a baby that you don't wanna mess with. But that's mostly because you're a big baby yourself and prefer to listen to your "Ultimate Kenny G: The Greatest Hits". That or "Lame Louie and the Recliner Chairs: The Complete Boredom Years Collection". We purchased this fine piece of clothing at H&M, which, at least to me, indicates a larger cultural phenomenon that has been going on for a while now, and that is a little bit annoying to be honest.
It's real popular right now to dress like you're heavy into rock music. With all kinds of little pieces of flare and stuff, and vintage-looking band shirts and stuff. But of course people's taste in music has not suddenly become a whole lot better. No, they simply wanna look the part, because they think it's cool. If you noticed it, you will know what I'm talking about. It can also be noticed by the overuse of the horns hand gesture. People need to quit doing that. Obviously looking like you like rock music is a lot cooler than looking like you're into Britney Spears' early work, but it's no less annoying. Of course I only feel this way because of my screwed-up elitarian view of who is cool and who is not, but that will be the topic of another post. And it's not gonna written by me, or anyone else, because no one is cool enough to do so. Duh. What I'm trying to say is, that a lot of people, including some popular bands, are all attitude, no substance. Kinda like the Ramones, only 30 years too late. I mean, I like the Ramones, I really do. But I also realize that their music gets very repetitive. It's still fun, but somewhat formulaic. It's not attemtpting to be anything else either, and that's where their attitude comes in, which, in my opinion, is at least as, if not more, important than the music itself. But that's punk rock, and it's good. However, this peculiar combination of deliberately reduced musical vocabulary (stole that from a review about The White Stripes) and attitude is a thing of the past. If it ever was genuine, it certainly is not anymore. And it certainly does not expand to other forms of rock music. At least not in the same extent. You know what, I'm kinda done with this.

[-] Get outa here!


Alright, as demonstrated, a simple piece of clothing has made Collin a more versatile person, equipped to leave his mark in different situations of everyday life.

 | Talkers (2)