Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Purple panorama.

Today, gentle readers, you, along with me, will enter a whole new realm on this very blog. Y'all know I'm constantly trying to push my boundaries, and love to take each of you along on this series of fantastic journeys into my life. It's not because I want to make you jealous, nothing could be further from the truth, but because I have a passion for sharing. Anyway, today, for the first time and thus stressing our thematic diversity, I will write about plants. Sounds craaazy, doesn't it? But stick with me, and we will make it through this difficult topic, and who knows, maybe we all will learn something.

Our living room window faces south, and the plants on the window sill are all doing very well. There is one plant we already had in our apartment in Trier (yes, that would be the one I didn't kill), and when we bought it, it had a purple thing on it, the we thought looked cool. Unfortunately, the condition of said thing declined over time, it eventually turned brown, and we removed it. But we kept the plant, thinking it doesn't look all that bad as it was. To our great surprise and profound joy, a new purple thing had started to grow after we returned from the US in the fall. It grew bigger and bigger, and one day, it was a clear sunny morning and the dreariness of the night had just begun to be lifted, we witnessed this breathtaking, beautiful and humbling sight:

[+] Yes please, let me see it

Yes it's true, a single blossom had started to form, and I thought it was cool enough to take a picture of it. Little did I know that this was not going to be the only one. Until today a total of 16 (SIXTEEN!) blossoms have sprung and withered away. There is one on there right now even. They have formed from the bottom, where the first blossom was, all the way up to the tip of the purple thing. Alternating on each side. There's a close-up of the first blossom when you scroll down, as I know you will, Curious George.

Stunning, isn't it? I know, not much of a close-up, but I wanted to respect its privacy. I have no clue what the plant is called, but it's easily identified by the purple thing. By the way, how do you feel about the font size of our blog. I was wondering if it's not a little too small. This size is the way Blogger had it in the template, but I'm wondering if it's not a little small. Also, it seems that the content column is a little wide, making it even more difficult for you, and me, to read the posts. Let me know what you think. Okay, on to the next gem.

[-] Byebye plant


Okay, so that was pretty amazing, right? But that wasn't all. We also have a tiny little cactus on the window sill, and it hasn't died yet either. Au contraire! It recently formed a little blossom as well. It was kinda boring at first, and also purple, but then one day I noticed it did this:

[+] Careful! Thorns ahead!Yep, the blossom had opened up. Later that day it was closed again, and it appears that it only opens in the morning for a while. So I took a picture on our living room table. Both plants have been sitting next to each other for a while and I wonder if they agreed on purple consciously, or if it's just an amazing coincidence. We'll never know for sure.

[-] I summon thee to disappear.


Alright, so that's it already. The next dimension. Now I kow other people have blogged about their plants before, but did you notice how after you collapse the little sections it takes you back to where you initially clicked? Pretty neat, huh? That's what I thought.

 | Talkers (4)