Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Not the worst city in the world.

Last night we were walking home through the subway tunnel connecting Times Square and Port Authority, our bellies full of Chinese dumplings, when we saw a crowd at the end and heard the sounds of Michael Jackson's "Beat It" blaring from a radio. The crowd was watching something, but we couldn't see what over their heads. As we came closer, we still couldn't make out what was going on, but I was prepared for some people breakdancing on the floor or something. But what we were about to set our eyes on, nothing could have prepared me for. It was a guy, fully decked out in a Michael Jackson outfit: sparkly black shirt over a white t-shirt, black hat and sunglasses, the curly bit of hair in the face, black pants paired with white socks and black shoes. He was doing a whole choreography including the moonwalk, crotch-thrusting and everything. And he was maybe 3 feet tall and just blew my mind. You can see him on youtube, but to see it live and unexpectedly like that was what made it so special I think.

In an unrelated matter, I started reading "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin a few months ago, and finally worked my way through it during my morning and evening commutes. It was my way to celebrate Darwin year and I feel like it would be ok to call him Mr. Chuck from now on. As far as the book is concerned, it is a little dry, but interesting, and his detailed observations are admirable. Reading it was more of an accomplishment than an experience in being bound by the writing the whole time. But hey, who am I to argue with one of the most significant works of science ever created?

Labels: , ,

 | Talkers (0)